Saturday, April 28, 2012

Weekend getaways!


Yes that's right, a weekend getaway.
Sometimes our lives get boring, and we need to get away. So we did. Two weekends in a row, in fact!

Getaway #1
 We decided to go "out of town" to Salt Lake. Yes, it's only about 45 minutes away, but hey, sometimes you just need to get out of Provo. We checked out the new City Creek mall (above), went into the Rolex and Tiffany's store, you know, to do some casual shopping. Best of all, went to some outlet stores in West Valley/Jordan? are they the same place? including the Banana Republic factory outlet store (how did I not know this place existed??)


Also ate some Thai food on our way to Richard's grandma's house (his parents were in town so we got to hang with them and his sister's family which was awesome!)
 I got the green curry. As you can see, it's green. A man in the restaurant walked out of the place with his wife, then hesitated, came back in, and approached me. "I'm sorry to interrupt you, but my wife and I couldn't help ourselves... what is that you're eating?"

Getaway #2- Camping!
 This time we decided to go South! All the way to Spanish Fork Canyon!
 I took a picture of this random field below because it is on the way to where we went camping last year around this time when our kayak fell off the roof mid-drive and we had to pull into this field for 2 hours trying to figure out how to tie it back on! Good times
 Is it me, or does it always take forever to get the fire started when you go camping?? For us it had been raining all week before we went. Richie did a great job though. My job was gathering the wood and trying to sound encouraging :)
 You got it babe! Just like that.
 We got a late start, so by the time we got our fire going and had hot dogs/s'mores it was really dark so we left our food outside (don't tell anyone). Probly had animals prancing around our campsite all night!



This picture was taken to show how small our tent is.




See? It's kind of little for 2 large individuals like ourselves


Here's Richard toasting a bagel over the fire like the pioneers used to do

Because it felt like -45 degrees during the night, I think I literally slept about 2 hours. Most of the night I laid awake wondering why we were out in the middle of nowhere in the cold when we have a nice warm bed at home. Soon as I felt that fire in the morning.. BAM.

After I woke up, suddenly that special phase began, where all I wanted to do was dance around singing Justin Bieb's latest hit, girlfriend, with accompanying dance moves. Lasted all the way til we got home and I crashed again!


No fee required.. that's what I'm talkin about



 Then we got home. All that fire-making and wood-gathering wears a brother out.


He told me he didn't remember putting the pillow on his head. I wondered if maybe he had also side-winded in his sleep to end up in this strange position. Hmm. Often I wake up in the night and he is sort of somehow diagonal so it makes sense! I guess all my sweet JB songs/moves didn't pump him up the way I hoped.


"If I was your boyfriend I'd never let you go. I'd take you to places you ain't neva been befo'"

If anyone wants to know the lyrics, you know, just ask. I've got 'em.

1 comment:

  1. You're hilarious Nicky. I'm impressed you tried green curry! I have no idea if that's adventurous, but i usually stick to yellow. Camping looked fun too! I'm so jealous there is no fee there; that would never happen where we live.

    ReplyDelete