Usually kids think I'm about 40 or however old their mom is. This kid has actually asked me how old I am before (in addition to questions like "are you married?", "what's your favorite superhero?", and "what's the hottest pepper in the world"), so maybe he thought at 23 I still had some growing up to do. More likely, he wanted to tell me what he wanted to be when he grew up, so he asked me first to make it less random (he tends to do that). Case in point: he wants be a paleontologist.
Either way, it made me think. I'm graduating soon and have no idea what I want to do. HELP. I can either work in a hospital or a school. Or a private clinic. Or do early intervention. Or a rehab facility. Or a nursing home. Or about 10 different other things. HELP. The only things I have experience with are one rehab hospital and one school.
At the hospital, patients swore at me in ways I've never heard before, passed away :( , used the bathroom in their beds while I was in the room (woof), flashed me (sometimes on accident but sometimes on purpose- these people are in hospital gowns and aren't wearing pants), etc.
However, working with kids, I've been jumped on, kicked, slapped, spit on, screamed at, run away from, etc. One kid even tried to kiss me on the mouth. Yikes
Of course there are good things about each place too. At the hospital I helped 2 people my age with traumatic brain injuries phonate for the first time since their accidents-so cool, connected with people, did therapy in ASL for a deaf patient, and it was just a neat experience. And kids are so fun. All we do at the school is play games with them. But really I just don't have passion for my work with the kids at the school.
One day in the next little bit I will figure this out. My resume is out on the market and I've had a few calls about it already so it's crunch time! Many of my cohort members already have accepted jobs!
Even though, I'll admit, I didn't know what the word "cohort" meant when I started grad school (was I really cut out for grad school?), I love those guys. Here's a pic of us last week at our going away party.
After class all day every day with these guys, after tears and break-ups and crazy clients, etc, we're all pretty close! They're great.Now I just need to follow their lead and figure out what to do. And where to go. HELP
the good news is that you picked a major that gives you lots of options that you are qualified for at least. I told you what major to choose, so you are going to have to figure out this part on your own!! hee hee.
ReplyDeleteyou look so cute in that pic and that's so great you have a little posse of grad friends. good luck with the job search!